Yatesbury is a
village adjacent to
Cherhill on the A4 road
RAF Yatesbury is a
Royal Air Force airfield well known to
many airmen who served in the second world war.
The airfield was first
established in the first world war and was developed into a
permanent camp in the interwar years
especially from 1936
onwards before finally closing in the 1960s. Before closure the
camp was home to the Radar and
Wireless training school
which transferred to Locking .The aircraft hangars and air
strip, although now farmland, can still
be seen from the A4.
Yatesbury today has a population of approximately 150 people.
The buildings, site and surrounding
area were featured in the
video to the 1988 song "Doctorin'
the Tardis" by
Yatesbury forms part of
The Oldbury Benefice, which comprises the 5 parishes of
Calstone Wellington and Yatesbury